1. (250 words) Why are you a candidate for the LCCC Board of Trustees and what qualifications make you the best choice for this office?
A Vietnam-era Army veteran, Garth Shanklin holds graduate degrees from the University of Wisconsin and Colorado State University. Garth has taught at Wyoming University and Community College levels for 30 years. Garth was named Wyoming’s Outstanding College Faculty member for 2011. Garth is currently the Vice-chair of the Wyoming Retirement System and is Treasurer of Meridian Trust Federal Credit Union in Cheyenne. Garth has also served several terms as Chair of the Wyoming Mental Health Professions Licensing Board.
Garth Shanklin has a passion for public service, community solutions and challenging problems. He has a depth and breadth of knowledge and experience that enables positive and informed decision making to benefit LCCC. He envisions the LCCC Board as responsible for the oversight of entire college operations and with the responsibility to hire and help direct the college president.
2. (250 words) Why are you a candidate for the LCCC Board of Trustees and what qualifications make you the best choice for this office?
1) Provide direction and insight to the entire college operation as we see shrinking resources, looking for other sources of revenue, helping to obtain gifts for the college, being involved in the overall budgeting process
2) Maintain the college’s educational quality, searching for future opportunities for certificate and degree seeking students.
3) Develop a more seamless K-16 educational experience for our current and future students that will best meet their and Wyoming’s needs and making LCCC more inviting to current and future students.