The League of Women Voters of Wyoming (LWVWY) is one of the most respected organizations in the state of Wyoming! Our members engage in rigorous and stimulating study and discussion about governmental and public policy issues. Members are actively involved in the political process, maintaining a nonpartisan position, to fulfill our mission.
Wyoming Governance 2023
The WY league designed a new approach to its legislative advocacy. This approach relies on:
- A bill-tracking system using the LWVUS platform Quorum. The spreadsheet is synced with the WY Legislative Services Office’s tables.
- A concise set of priorities for the 2023 Legislative Session. Our lobbyist, Marguerite Herman’s efforts on behalf of WY leagues will be guided by these priorities.
These priorities and plans for action are reexamined each Spring in a cycle of league governance that ends with a state-wide conference of delegates representing local and state leagues. The 2023 conference will be held May 5-6 in Gillette, WY with the Campbell County league hosting.
Spring Cycle of League Governance
The LWV’s plans — Impact on Issues — are published biyearly. The book is downloadable. To quote this publication on how leagues pull together:
The national League is responsible for determining strategies and action policies that ensure that the League’s message on national issues is consistent throughout the country. Similarly, state Leagues [insure a] consistent state message, and local Leagues must cooperate with one another … .
An overall league strategy is to support and learn from our non-league partners who lead on legislation in important to league members, effectively engage our members using the skillset of our statewide Legislative Committee, and to create meaningful partnerships with legislators.
The League of Women Voters of Wyoming believes that voting is a fundamental right that must be supported and protected. We oppose legislation limiting those rights that discourage voting, add expense, and create unnecessary barriers. Voter fraud is NOT occurring in Wyoming.
Wyoming election are secure:
There is no evidence of voter impersonation.
There is no evidence that current absentee voting laws, use of ballot drop boxes or early voting have resulted in any significant abuse.
Restriction on voter choice of party affiliation eliminate options and discourage voting.
Secretary of State Chuck Gray on security of Wyoming elections: https://sos.wyo.gov/Elections/Security/
The LWVWY is a nonpartisan, grass root organization working to:
- Protect and expand voting rights
- Ensure everyone is represented in our democracy
- Ensure elections remain free and accessible to all
- Ensure people have the information they need to participate in elections
- Promotes personal political responsibility through informed and active participation in government and public policy
- Neither supports or opposes any political party or candidate
- Supports and advocates for policies and legislation based on national and state positions as agreed upon through a study and consensus process
- Is fully committed to ensure compliance–in principle and in practice–with LWVUS’ Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy
Membership in the League of Women Voters of Wyoming is open to all people age 16 or older We invite you to learn more about us by exploring our website. Please contact us if you want further information.
President, League of Women Voters of Wyoming
Although the League of Women Voters does not support candidates or parties, we take positions on issues after we study them. See positions relating to voting and good government on our Advocacy page, and other positions on our state program page.
See our past Legislative Reports, recordings of candidate forums, and past Voter Guides on our Elections and Government.