- This event has passed.
Ratification of the 14th Amendment Insuring Citizens’ Rights
February 3 @ 12:00 am – 12:00 pm
The 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments to the Constitution are also called the “Civil War Amendments.” The 14th was ratified in 1868 making 2023 its 155th anniversary. Unlike many, the 14th Amendment is quite wordy and is comprised of five sections. It is also involved in many litigations.
- Section 1 includes the familiar phrase “… nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;….”
- Section 2 addresses federal elections, apportionment of House members and citizenship. for all male citizens > 21 years.
- Section 3 described the circumstances of insurrection and rebellion.
- Section 4 makes illegal debts claimed for either aiding insurrection or claiming the loss or emancipation of a slave.
- Section 5 awards Congress the power to enforce these provisions.